April 23, 2012
citrus x paradisi
We all know how much I love spring. The one downside? Grapefruit season ends! And I really truly love grapefruit. Not even for weird diet purposes. I just love grapefruit... almost more than any other food.
Some fun grapefruit facts:
- It's rich in the dietary insoluble fibre pectin which helps protect your intestines from toxins! Pectin has also been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels.
- It is FULL of vitamins A and C. These have antioxidant properties which are essential for vision health, and also help to protect the body from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- Grapefruit is also full of potassium, which is important for cells and the balance of bodily fluids, and also counters the effects of too much sodium.
- Research shows that grapefruit is full of lycopene! I do not know what this is! But apparently it's a good thing.
- Grapefruit can inhibit pharmaceutical drugs, so much so that there's a list of DO NOT COMBINE WITH GRAPEFRUIT drugs. haha, weird.
- A grapefruit is 75% juice! Which I also love.
Around this time of year all the grapefruit gets smaller and more wrinkly and becomes exorbitantly expensive. And this makes me so sad that I apparently have to write a post about it. And now I have to go make some tea (which does not go well with grapefruit).